Wigwam Mills was originally founded in 1905 in Sheboygan, Wisconsin under the name Hand-Knit Hosiery Company. The three founders -- Herbert Chesebro, Robert Ehany, and Lawerance Bentz -- were employees at Sheboygan Knitting Company, which was destroyed by a fire in 1904.
The company got its start making wool socks and headwear for the lumbermen and other workers in the area. In 1936, Robert Chesebro, Sr., gained complete control of the company after working at the mill for 12 years. During World War II, the company devoted 75% of its capacity to knitting for the troops overseas.
In 1957, the company changed its name from Hand-Knit Hosiery to Wigwam Mills, based on the popularity of the Wigwam brand of socks they'd been producing.
Wigwam's current manufacturing facility is a state-of-the-art factory that uses solar power, energy efficient lighting, and responsible waste management to reuse and recycle as much as possible. With a deep commitment to domestic manufacturing, Wigwam not only makes all of its products in the US, but they also source almost all of their raw materials from American suppliers and growers.