Beginning in the 1890s, C.C. Filson made a name for himself as Seattle’s go-to purveyor of durable, high-quality clothing and outdoor gear.
After touring the country as a railroad conductor, Filson made his way to the Pacific Northwest and settled in Seattle, Washington, where he opened his first store in 1897. That store was called C.C. Filson's Pioneer Alaska Clothing and Blanket Manufacturers, and it specialized in clothing and equipment to outfit the thousands of prospectors who were heading north during the Great Klondike Gold Rush.
Filson bought his own textile mill, and began manufacturing Mackinaw Wool clothing, outerwear, blankets, and knit goods, as well as selling boots, shoes, sleeping bags, and other gear specially designed for the frigid North. For his customers, having access to the right clothing was a matter of survival.
After the Gold Rush ended, C.C. Filson continued to manufacture rugged outdoor clothing for loggers and other outdoorsmen, and his brand's reputation for unrivaled quality and durability continued to grow. More than 120 years later, many of Filson's earliest designs are still being made, like the Cruiser Shirt (patented in 1914) and its descendent, the Mackinaw Cruiser Jacket.